Rights to privacy
Peerless Holdings Pty Ltd ACN 004 280 979 (trading as Peerless Foods) (“Peerless Foods”) understands the importance of protecting an individual’s right to privacy. This policy sets out how Peerless Foods protects the privacy of your personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information managed by Peerless Foods and the way Peerless Foods collects, uses and discloses your personal information.
In handling your personal information, Peerless Foods will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles (together, the Privacy Law). This policy statement may be updated from time to time.
What kinds of personal information does Peerless Foods collect?
Personal information is information that identifies an individual – for example name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. During the provision of its services and the course of its business, Peerless Foods may collect your personal information.
- You may provide personal information, for example, by:
registering on our website or by entering a promotion;
- where you have applied for credit with us;
- when you sign up to an email or hard copy marketing list;
- when you telephone, email or meet with a representative of Peerless Foods and enquire about a product or service and leave contact details;
- when you make a purchase using a credit card or method other than cash (however, whenever we process a credit card transaction, we immediately destroy your credit card details after the transaction has been completed); or
- when you provide Peerless Foods a resume or other details by email, mail, face to face meeting or over the phone.
We do not require you to register or to provide this information to us in order to view our website or have access to much of its content, such as our recipes.
If you e-mail us through the ‘Contact Us’ link on this website, we ask you for information such as your first name and e-mail address so we can respond to your questions and comments. You may choose to provide additional information as well.
Aggregate and Non-Personal Information
We collect certain aggregate and non-personal information when you visit our sites. Aggregate and non-personal information does not relate to a single, identifiable visitor. It tells us such things as how many users visited our site, the pages accessed and the recipes viewed. By collecting this information, we learn how to best tailor our websites to our visitors. We collect this non-personal information either through “cookie” technology or with “web beacons” (also called ‘single-pixel gifs’), as explained below.
Like many companies, we use “cookie” technology on our websites. Cookies are bits of text that are placed on your computer’s hard drive when you visit certain websites. Cookies may enhance your online experience by saving your preferences e.g. passwords while you are visiting a particular site.
The “help” portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies.
Certain pages on our site contain “web beacons” (also known as Internet tags, pixel tags, and clear GIFS). These web beacons allow third parties to obtain information such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page containing the beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies set by the third party.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use the information you provide to contact you from time to time with your express or implied consent (i.e. where it can be reasonably inferred from the circumstances that you consent to that use). For example, we may, subject to you providing your express or implied prior consent (a) send you marketing or promotion materials and other communications you request; (b) respond to your comments, requests for information, or questions.
How We Share Personally-Identifiable Information
Except as described below, we do not:
- collect; or
- sell, transfer or otherwise disclose to third parties,
the personally-identifiable information we collect on our websites without your prior consent.
We may collect, use and/or disclose personal information:
- where we consider it necessary to investigate or prevent an actual or suspected crime or injury to ourselves or others or where disclosure is otherwise required by law;
- if required in response to a request from law enforcement authorities or other government officials;
- to third parties we retain to perform services for you (to which you have consented) on our behalf. For example, we engage service providers to help us run promotions, carry out credit, fraud and other security checks, fulfil orders you may place, perform authorised financial transactions with you and provide customer service. These service providers may have access to personally-identifiable information about our website visitors if it is needed to perform their functions for Peerless Foods, but they are not authorised by Peerless Foods to use the information for their own marketing purposes;
- to assess applications of prospective employees and personnel;
- if we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information which we hold about our customers may be one of the transferred assets (subject to the same constraints on use and disclosure as under this policy); or
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation, in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions, or to protect our rights, property, or safety of that of our personnel or customers. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We limit the information we provide to third parties to the information they need to help us provide or facilitate the provision of goods and services to you. We deal with third parties that are required to meet the privacy standards required by law in handling your personal information, and use your personal information only for the purposes that we gave it to them.
What do we do if there is a data breach?
In the event of a data breach, such as the unauthorised loss, use or disclosure of personal information, we will assess and respond in line with our applicable policies and procedures, which incorporate the requirements contained in the Privacy Law. Pursuant to our obligations under the Privacy Law, we will notify you where your personal information is involved in an eligible data breach that is likely to result in serious harm. Such notification will also include making recommendations about the steps you should take in response to the breach. Where required by law, the Australian Privacy and Information Commissioner will also be notified of a data breach.
Links to Other Websites
Security of your personal information
Peerless Foods takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected against misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Peerless Foods holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
Can you access the personal information that Peerless Foods holds about you?
Under the Privacy Law, you have a right to access your personal information that is collected and held by Peerless Foods. If at any time you would like to access or change the personal information that Peerless Foods holds about you, or you would like more information on Peerless Food’s approach to privacy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain access to your personal information, you will have to provide proof of identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected.
Peerless Foods will take all reasonable steps to provide access to your personal information within 30 days from your request. In less complex cases Peerless Foods will try to provide information within 14 days.
If providing you with access requires a detailed retrieval of your personal information, an administrative fee may be charged for the cost of retrieval and supply of information.
Updates to This Privacy Notice
We may change or update portions of this Privacy Notice at any time. Please check back from time to time so you are aware of any change or update to the notice. We will indicate the notice’s effective date on the first page of the notice.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about our Privacy Notice, you can contact: email@example.com